How to build a homemade protein shake to lose weight...but not muscle.
Sep 04, 2020
Grabbing a protein shake as you run out the door is one of the quickest and easiest ways to start your day off right. But they can go REAL wrong REAL quick.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
First of all, pretty much every shake or smoothie I see sold commercially is complete junk. They’re full of chemicals, preservatives, artificial sweeteners or high sugar, waaaay too much fruit and no veggies. But shakes can also be an amazing delivery system for nutrients when done right.
Move On To A Homemade Protein Shake
To lose fat and maintain the muscle you need the proper macro breakdown. Too many carbs paired with fat will stop weight loss in its tracks, but too much protein and your body won’t be able to absorb it all anyway and you’ll be wasting it. So let's break down how to build the perfect fat-burning, muscle-building, homemade protein shake the RIGHT way.
1st: Start with a CLEAN base
- What’s clean? Check the ingredients for fillers like carrageenan and sunflower oil. Ick⠀⠀⠀⠀
- I do 2 cups of unsweetened almond or coconut milk
2nd: Add a healthy fat.
- Fat is extremely satiating so it will help you stay fuller longer.
- It will also help you stay in fat-burning mode if you’re in mild ketosis from an overnight fast (hint: sleeping through the night is an overnight fast!) or full-blown ketosis if you’re on the keto diet.
- A homemade protein shake is a great place to add nut butters, coconut manna, coconut oil, or avocado.
*want to learn more about the keto diet and how to do it right? Check out my Keto Course here! www.kristenblakewellness.com/keto
3rd: Pile on those antioxidants!
- These will help fight free radicals in the body which helps with inflammation and aging.⠀
- Some of my favorite antioxidants to add to a homemade protein shake: cacao powder, cinnamon, and blueberries.
4th: Add in some high-quality protein powder.
- My favorite is Pure Paleo Designs for Health because it’s pretty much just pure collagen with some stevia and it isn’t full of a bunch of artificial junk which I definitely want to avoid - and you should too!
- Pure Paleo has around 20 grams of protein which is a really nice amount to help maintain and build muscle mass. Anything over 20 grams and your body can’t absorb it so it’s pretty much a waste ⠀⠀
*To grab Pure Paelo go here: https://wellevate.me/kristen-blake
5th: Add the veggies!
- This is a great opportunity to pack in some vitamins and minerals!
- I like to add spinach, kale, zucchini, cauliflower
- With zucchini and cauliflower, if you freeze them first it will result in a nice and creamy texture in your smoothie, similar to how a banana adds creaminess (but I don’t like to add banana because it’s fairly high in sugar and can result in a blood sugar crash later on!)
If you want my recipe ebook of smoothies and juices just click the link below. It’s packed with really creative shake ideas ranging from a coconut keto shake to a pumpkin spice shake and a key lime pie shake too!
Work with me
Are you ready to start feeling better?
My team and I are here to partner with you on your health goals.
Find out more about working with us here ↓