Feb 11, 2020
HOW TO ACHIEVE YOUR OPTIMAL HEALTH
Do you want to kick ass at life? I mean, really take it up a notch and stop just feeling ok or good and feel amazing? Then it’s time to start biohacking.
What is biohacking?
It is the practice of using science and epigenetics to transform your body using food, thoughts, movement, light, and more.
To truly optimize your health and increase energy, longevity, and productivity along with decreasing disease, you must first and foremost lay the foundation. Just like you can’t build an impressive skyscraper without a solid foundation, you can't build impressive health, energy, vitality, and resiliency without laying the foundations for said health.
Basic good health hygiene is that foundation.
If you’re not sure where to start for that, check out my post here on some key areas, including sleep, movement, vegetables, and more: “Why Health Coaches Don’t Count Calories, and What They Do Count.”
Now, if you've gotten the basics of optimal health down using the principles outlined there, it's time to move on to building that skyscraper.
The impressive, over-the-top vitality and optimal health and wellness everyone is in search of...
Here are some of my favorite biohacking modalities, what they do, where to get them, and how to do them.
1. Far Infrared sauna
- What is it? Not to be confused with a traditional Finnish sauna (the kind with the hot coals that your pour water over… those are nice but do not have the optimal health benefits FIR does). Far Infrared saunas can be small and portable tent-like contraptions or larger walk-in saunas.
- Why use one? FIR saunas penetrate deep into the tissues to help release toxins from your body’s fat stores. To put it simply, the less toxic you become, the more energy you will have. FIR also appears to act upon calcium ion channels and increases mitochondrial respiration, thus increasing mitochondria’s production of ATP (increased ATP = increased energy!). There are countless studies on the potential benefits of FIR, such as this one, that shows it to be effective in both preventing and treating a wide variety of diseases: “Far-infrared therapy for cardiovascular, autoimmune, and other chronic health problems: A systematic review”
- How do I get started? Many ND offices and health spas allow you to purchase sessions in their saunas. This is a great way to give it a try before making the big commitment to purchase a high-quality FIR sauna (they’re not cheap!).
- Whether you purchase your own or do single sessions, make sure you are using a low EMF FIR sauna. Otherwise, you’re doing more harm than good.
- Some of the top low EMF brands are Therasage, Clear Light, and Sunlight.
- After loads of research, I have to say my favorite is Therasage, so much so that I’ve partnered with them as an affiliate. If you’re interested in purchasing the easiest to use, highest technology and quality, and one of the smallest and most portable saunas on the market – click here.
- To read my full blog post on saunas, go here: "How Saunas Turn You Into Batman".
2. Genetic Testing
- What is it?
My favorite kit on the market is Nutrition Genome. This will not only give you hundreds of SNPs (genetic single nucleotide polymorphisms sometimes called genetic "mutations"), but it will also tell you the most important part - what to do about it! The Nutrition Genome report provides you with hundreds of pages of recommendations ranging from changing your dietary habits to exercise function and more.
- Why use it? If you don’t know your genes, how can you biohack said genes using epigenetics? Epigenetics is the study of how the environment affects the genetic expression, and as the saying goes, “the genes load the gun, but the environment pulls the trigger”. Once you know your genetics, you can begin to work to optimize them by changing your gene’s “environment” (supplements, nutrition, etc.).
- For example, we all know we need Vitamin D, but not many know there are certain genetic polymorphisms that affect the way the body utilizes Vitamin D, which changes how much one needs to supplement to reach optimal health, if at all. An interesting study published at Frontiers in Immunology studied the interaction between the VDR (Vitamin D Receptor) gene and the environment here to show just how important this interaction is. The full article can be read here. VDR is just one of the thousands of polymorphism Nutrition Genome will generate for you.
- One of the most famous snps (single nucleotide polymorphisms, often called “genetic mutations”) right now is MTHFR. This snp affects your methylation cycle and changes the type of folate you should take, changes the amount of detox your body is capable of, and much more. For a brief intro to MTHFR and epigenetics, read my blog post entitled “MTHFR What Is It and Why Is Everyone Talking About It”.
- How do I get started? To test out your own genes using Nutriton Genome head here. In just a few weeks' time, you'll receive hundreds of pages of actionable info to get started with biohacking!
3. Colon Hydrotherapy, aka Colonic
- What is it? A typical session is about 45 minutes long and consists of flushing approximately 15 gallons of water through your colon. Scared of having a tube of rushing water inserted into your colon? Don’t be; it’s not that bad. Once your brain gets over the shock of the idea, it’s really quite easy. Especially if you go for a closed-tube colonic. In that case, the colon hydrotherapist will do all the work, control the machine, and talk you through it. If you’re too freaked out to have a person in the room with you, book yourself an open tube where you’ll be left to your own devices. The downside is you don’t have their expert guidance. The plus side is privacy.
- Why use it? Some of the top benefits of a colonic are maintaining regularity and preventing constipation, increased energy, increased absorption of vitamins and nutrients via the GI tract once the excess waste is cleared away, improved skin, and more.
- It is estimated that the average person has about 9 pounds of old waste literally stuck in their colons. I think the reasons to remove it are obvious, but in case their not, review the top benefits listed above. The colonic works by infusing this old, dried-up, impacted waste with water and helps to flush it out.
- Worried it’s not safe? Colonics have been traced back to the 14th century BC in Egypt, so I think you’re good…Still not convinced? Read Dr. Axe’s article on the benefits of colon cleansing here.
- How do I get started? The key is finding a reputable establishment. If you’re in the Portland area, email me, and I’ll send you a few of my favorites. If you’re not, Yelp is your best friend here. Don’t go for a Groupon place. Go for good reviews!
4. The Human Charger
- What is it? The human charger (yes, that is actually what this thing is called) charges us humans, just like your iPhone charger powers up your iPhone, but instead of using electricity, it uses light. More specifically, it uses transcranial bright light to access photoreceptor proteins in the brain to help regulate circadian rhythm.
- In layman's terms: it shines a special light into your brain through your ears. You're welcome for the English interpretation of how transcranial photoreceptors work.
- Why use it? Circadian rhythm is crucial for optimal health. When it gets out of whack, which it so often does (read more about how in my post on sleep here, your brain suffers the consequences.
- Regulating circadian rhythm using the human charger can increase energy and mental alertness, improve mood, reduce the effects of jet lag, and improve symptoms of SAD (seasonal affective disorder). For an insane amount of research on the topic, look here.
- How to get started: This Amazon link will take you directly to the best price available so you can buy it today and get started charging yourself up asap!
I have SO MANY MORE BIOHACKS than this for helping establish optimal health. Too many to absorb in one sitting, so I’ll save that for another day.
For now, take this all in, see if anything interests you, check with your medical health professional to see if it’s right for you at this time, and give it a go.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and want to jump in but need more guidance, feel free to reach out at [email protected] or check out my Work With Me page.
Work with me
Are you ready to start feeling better?
My team and I are here to partner with you on your health goals.
Find out more about working with us here ↓